The Field and Outreach Director is a permanent, full-time, exempt position that supports La Defensa’s local and statewide campaigns by implementing strategic field operations and community outreach for membership development. The position reports directly to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the day-to-day field operations with a focus on volunteer and staff recruitment; training and staff development
Ability to develop and implement comprehensive, data driven field plans
- Conceptualize and construct plans for field operations including field budgets, work plans, and overall timelines;
- Build and manage a field team to execute field plans
- Maintain regular communications with EDs and staff, as directed, on progress-to-goals and ensure there is a feedback loop of timely information, which could shape strategy
- Manage overall field operations, tracking performance to goals, for volunteers, paid canvassers, and LD team
- Implementation of post-campaign debriefs and assessments;
- Develop and implement strategies to streamline resources to support field campaign activity and to avoid duplicative campaign work;
- Drive registration for digital town halls across all La Defensa campaign areas including Transforming the Judiciary, Justice Reinvestment, and Gender Justice advocacy; Establish metrics for virtual/in-person town hall/ event attendance and meet or exceed these benchmarks
- Work with the Communications Team on digital outreach and digital ads promoting our campaign goals/ events
- Train Field Team on working/communicating with Coalition partners and the general public via signal, email, and in-person events to amplify digital and in-person event registration and attendance to LD events
La Defensa Membership
- Work with the La Defensa team to determine outreach goals and field strategies for various campaigns and campaign field strategies with the goal of building people power and the LD membership base;
- Coordinate field organizing with fundraising operations
- Set, meet and exceed benchmarks for voter contact, volunteer recruitment, grassroots engagement, and GOTV.
- Design and standardize best practices for data management using the campaign’s voter file software
- Establish a strong professional culture within the field organization focused on accountability, specific goals, innovation, and sense of purpose
- Manage the field program budget and logistics in collaboration with senior staff
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Other duties as requested by the executive director(s).
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
Lived experience or have been impacted by the injustice system, experience in community outreach, membership recruitment, and direct action-based policy campaigns. 6+ years of local and/or state policy knowledge with hands-on experience working on local/state campaigns. 3+ cycles of electoral campaign field experience. Must have analytical expertise in the political landscape within Los Angeles County. Extensive experience managing and training high-performing staffers. Demonstrated commitment and passion for transforming the legal system and the mission of La Defensa.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of local, state, and federal policy that impacts injustice system reforms and abolitionist efforts in Los Angeles County and California. Solid knowledge of local and state policies. Experience with Netsuite, Salesforce, Google Suite programs, and high level of comfort with technology. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting frequent deadlines. Extensive experience with and ability to train on Votebuilder (VAN), or voter data on other platforms. Strong communication and organizational skills with strong attention to detail. Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills; successful at motivating staff to meet recruitment and voter contact goals. The candidate m ust be able to work independently with limited supervision, be exceedingly well organized, flexible and enjoy the challenges of supporting the operational needs of a decentralized team.
The Field & Outreach Director works closely with La Defensa’s Executive Director and collaboratively with staff, contractors, vendors, coalition partners, local and state legislators, and policymakers. This role may also oversee some of the work produced by contracted staffers.
Must have the physical ability to move boxes weighing 20 or 30 pounds each 10 to15% of work time. Travel will be required. Must be able to travel domestically on an airplane 6-8 times a year. Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time.
This is a remote telecommute position that requires travel, especially within Los Angeles County and California. Work hours, depending on circumstances may sometimes be odd and include occasional night or weekend assignments.
Starting at $105,000/yearly. Depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
All interested individuals should follow this link to submit their cover letters and resumes by FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2022 All qualified applicants will receive an invitation to schedule a virtual interview within a week of the closing date.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
La Defensa is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and non-binary communities especially those impacted by the injustice system. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek accommodation, please reach out to email@example.com.